A few years ago a wise man said to me, “Dave, you need to design a new kind of ministry to men around the principles you’ve discovered.”
On February 11, that new kind of ministry to men launches in Anchorage, Alaska.
It’s called Man Time. Here are a few details:
- It’s short. Just 49 minutes in-and-out. It meets Tuesday mornings for 4 weeks.
- The focus is table talk – not listening to a speaker talk.
- There’s no singing (who wants to sing at 6:30 AM?)
- Each session is a parable. I use common, everyday objects to illustrate my point.
- I don’t spoon feed. Instead, I give men dilemmas to wrestle with and problems to solve. They discover truth for themselves.
- The sessions are highly visual and interactive. They get your blood pumping.
In designing Man Time, I went back to the example of Jesus. As I read and re-read the gospels, one thing struck me: Jesus taught the crowds, but he tested his men.
So I built Man Time around tests. Challenges. I follow Jesus’ favorite technique: I hide the truth inside a parable and let men discover it for themselves.
I have big dreams for Man Time. I’m praying that it can help solve two of the greatest challenges men’s ministry faces today: 1) why young men don’t come; and 2) why Men’s ministry programs tend to lose momentum so quickly. If successful, I’m hoping Man Time will become a model that can be replicated in thousands of churches worldwide.
For those of you who are following my stop-and-start efforts with Men’s League, don’t worry. Man Time is not a replacement for Men’s League – instead, it’s a perfect first step for churches that want to develop a League. It’s a way for men to be introduced to many of the Men’s League concepts without asking them to make a huge commitment.
If you live in Southcentral Alaska, join me for Man Time.
- What: Man Time
- When: Tuesdays, 6:30 AM. Feb. 11, 18, 25 and March 4.
- Where: ChangePoint Church in Anchorage.
- Why: To launch a new model of ministry to men and see if God is in it.
- Who: Men age 16 and older are welcome to attend
- How: Registration is $10. If you attend all 4 weeks you get your $10 back. Register at www.changepointalaska.com/men.